In 2002, the U.S. Department of Health released a study declaring SAMe's benefits are equal to or better than prescription anti-depressants without the side-effects. SAMe (S-adenoslmethionine) is a naturally occurring compound found in all living organisms. In humans, SAMe is distributed throughout the body and is involved in many important biochemical reactions. SAMe is critical in the maintenance of cartilage and in the manufacture of important brain compounds such as neurotransmitters.
Because significant amounts of SAMe are not readily available through the diet, the body is responsible for making its own SAMe. Scientists know that certain groups of people, including the elderly, have low levels of SAMe in their bodies. For many reasons, it is important to maintain proper levels of SAMe in the body. Numerous clinical studies involving tens of thousands of people indicate that supplementation with SAMe supports and promotes the health of a multitude of body functions.
SAMe is popular in Europe, where doctors have administered it for over 20 years. The benefits of SAMe have been demonstrated by its long-term commercial use there. SAMe is now available in the US mass market as a dietary supplement. Short and long term clinical studies show that SAMe is a very safe and non-toxic product in levels of supplementation of up to 1,600 mg a day, as long as it is taken with B vitamins (see note under "Cautions" below).
In his book Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program that Allows You to See & Heal the 6 Types of ADD, Dr. Daniel Amen recommends the use of SAMe for Limbic-type ADD/ADHD. Persons diagnosed with Limbic ADD typically have short attention spans, low energy, are often unfocused and disorganized and suffer from frequent negative thoughts and excessive guilt. They are usually misdiagnosed with clinical depression, but often find that antidepressants increase their moodiness. SAMe supplementation gets to the root causes of Limbic ADD/ADHD, and can often help when antidepressants don't.
SAMe has been clinically shown to support and promote:
- Joint health, mobility and joint comfort
- Mood and emotional well-being
- Healing for liver conditions, including cirrhosis and intrahepatic cholestasis
Our SAMe is enteric coated and HPLC tested for purity. It is the highest potency, most scientifically advanced and most highly stabilized SAMe product available today! It is enteric matrix coated, meaning that each tiny particle is first enteric coated, then formed into a convenient caplet form. This unique process assures you of the maximum shelf life and the full freshness of this food to be as close as possible as when it was processed.
Dosage: Take SAMe on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes before a meal. Different doses of SAMe have been used to treat different conditions. Some common daily recommendations are:
- Depression: 400 mg to 1,600 mg
- Osteoarthritis: 600 to 800 mg
- Cirrhosis of the Liver: 1200 mg to 1600 mg
- Intrahepatic Cholestasis: 1600 mg
- AIDS myelopathy: 800 mg
- Fibromyalgia: 800 mg
- SAMe is converted into homocysteine in the body, which has recently made press as a substance strongly correlated with heart disease if it is left to build up within your cells. The good news is that SAMe, which is so good for you, does NOT have to turn into a toxic build-up of homocysteine. With the proper complement of B-complex vitamins (especially B-6, B-12 and folic acid, which are all methyl-donors), homocysteine is re-methylated into good old methionine (used to produce S-Adenosyl Methionine) or converted into the antioxidant glutathione. Therefore, people taking SAMe are well advised to supplement with B vitamins.
- While some individuals have experienced a lessening of depression as soon as 3 to 5 days after beginning to take SAMe, its full effects may take several weeks to develop.
- People who have bipolar disorder, manic-depressive illness or Parkinson's disease should not take SAMe. Do not take SAMe if you are currently taking prescription anti-depressants without consulting your doctor.